Saturday, July 24, 2010

Busy days...




I finally have all of the cuts of pork all in cures. The prosciutto each weighed around 11 pounds each. I used about a pound and a half of salt, with about 5 tablespoons of pink salt and divided that up into 2 batches. Since I left the hoof on, I wanted to wrap in in parchment paper and pack it in salt. I rubbed all around the exposed bone and covered the meat area in about and inch thick layer of salt. After coving the leg, I used a non-reactive pan to prop up the leg from under the thick side, drawing a lot of the moisture from the thicker side, down to help it speed up the process. I referenced several resources and decided, what I thought, would be the best way to cure it. Today I will redistribute the cure and decide if I still want to weigh down the prosciutto to help speed up the process.

The coppa is in the cure and looks good. After 9 days, I will re-distribute the cure over the muscles. The lardo that I have is a little thicker than the last batch I did. It might take just a little longer to cure.

1 comment:

  1. That looks GREAT Adam. Thanks for reminding me, I need to start some lardo.

    ReplyDelete