Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Not what I expected...


I finally sliced into the prosciutto and took out the bone. My initial reaction when I cut into the shoulder was that it looked great. The smell was fantastic. Aside from a little discoloration around the middle, I'd say it was just about right, except for a minor detail. It was closer to a traditional American ham, rather then the rustic, old-world prosciutto I was expecting. Next time I'm going to use a different recipe, and try curing it a different way. The recipe that I used called for a little heat added to the shoulder to speed up the curing process. I think that's when things took a different turn. Don't get me wrong. The ham flavor was great, and it tasted really good, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. I guess there's no way around speeding up the curing process for prosciutto. Any other method, other than time, would not quite give you the same result.

No comments:

Post a Comment