Friday, February 5, 2010

Next batch...

So I was finally able to stuff and hang all 20 pounds of the salami i had grounded. I was able to make 2 logs that are about 2 pounds each, of each type of salami, and was even to make 2 more logs of mixed salami. Kind of a "leftover meat that wasn't able to fit into the other casings" mix. This time around I did something a little different. I hung most of the salami in the room where I do most of my curing in. The room stays around 60 degrees, and about 65-70% humidity. I really liked the way the flavor came out, and it looked fantastic. However, I wanted to do a little more experimenting with the fermentation, so I was able to hang a couple of pieces in another room that is a little warmer. This room is about 70 degrees and has a humidity level of about 75-80%. This temperature will help the culture ferment a little better. Since both batches were made the same exact way, at the same exact time, the only variable will be the rooms I am curing them in. Doing this, I will be able to compare both different batches and be able to find out which one I like better. I'll be sure to post pictures of both and share my comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment