Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prosciutto In the Cure

I was able to get a good deal on a bone-in, skin on, 9 pound pork shoulder and finally was able to start some prosciutto. After doing a little bit of research online, I decided to leave the bone in. On Monday I was able to apply the first stage of cure to it. The recipe I used was a pretty basic one. I mainly just used salt, sugar, pepper, and juniper berries, and of course, some curing salt. It wasn't so much about the flavor for me this time, as it was about making sure it gets done right. After 15 days I will re-apply the rest of the cure, then after 30 days I will pull it from the cure and apply some sort of weight on it to help along with the curing process. Without the added pressure from the weight, the prosciutto would take about 18 months to cure. I want to try and have mine done in about 4 months. Also, I was able to pull all of the duck prosciutto from the cure and now all 4 breasts are hanging and should be done in a couple of weeks. The coppa was rinsed and is also hanging and should take a little over a month before its done. I was able to price a couple pig heads for another torchon and I really want to start one the week following valentines weekend. Chorizo, calabrese, pepperoni, and cardamom-orange are still looking great. The one I have in the warmer room seems to be curing just a little bit quicker than the ones in the cooler room., which is expected. After a couple more days, I will be moving it to the cooler of the rooms to finish the curing process. N'duja is expected to be done around the 26th. They are feeling great and still soft enough to spread. It's going to be a busy couple of months.


No comments:

Post a Comment