Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sliced Porchetta

After cooking the porchetta for about 15 hours, sous vide at about 160 degrees celsius, I let it cool for about 8 hours, to let everything gel together. I then cut it to see how it turned out, and it looked awesome and tasted even better! I was so happy to see it turn out looking amazing and tasting even better. We tried some cold, sliced straight from the head, and then tried some pan fried. The lemon zest and rosemary came through perfectly. The texture was even better than I could imagine, and better than any headcheese I've tried before. Even behind all the spices, you could tell exactly what part of the head you were eating, and they all were perfectly balanced! Everyone who tasted it thought it was amazing. A must try for any pork lover!

I also pulled the prosciutto from the warmer. I had it held at about 90 degrees F for about 40 hours. I wrapped it in cheesecloth at hung it to dry in a room at 60 degrees and 70% humidity. It weighed in with about 10% weight loss. It's still going to need about 30 days of hanging. Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment