Thursday, March 4, 2010

Porchetta and Prosciutto



Yesterday I was able to pick up a pigs head before work. I deboned it and started my porchetta di testa. First, I cut off the ears, boiled them down, and had a crispy pig ear salad. Great snack! Next I placed the pig meat skin side down and seasoned the inside of the head meat with salt, pepper, rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and red chili flakes. Next, I'm marinating it for a couple of days. It will then be rolled up, tongue and all, and then sealed and sous vide for about 15 hours. I'm excited to see how this turns out. I've done traditional headcheese, and done headcheese torchon, now I thought it would be fun to try it like this. Also, I pulled the prosciutto from the cure and placed it in an oven at about 90 degrees and pressed it between two racks to help dry it out. Its going to stay there for about 48 hours. Today I'm going to weigh some of the salami and track their progress. Should be ready soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment